Monday, October 4, 2010

Bungalow: Vision Statement

My current study of Gothic art helped me to pinpoint the conceptual idea of Gothic: tracery, the thin stone masonry pieces that support the glass in cathedrals. This feature draws on complex shapes and patterns as well as the positive and negative spaces it creates. In addition, the idea of a heavy material seeming almost fragile intrigued me. Thus I layered positive and negative spatial designs through the textiles and furnishings in this dining room. Reminiscent of Arts and Crafts aesthetics, I abstracted the complexities of stone tracery normally found on a cathedral and used basic circles and lines throughout my designs that screen light and shadow while also creating a dialogue in the room. With all the elements combined, the finished design mediates between a Victorian world and modern one, purposefully echoing my forebears in design who struggled with the same challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment