Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ranch Charrette : Concept Visualization

Parti (n.)- The basic scheme or concept of an architectural design.
[Dictionary.com]

Here are some gestural images generated from the Ranch house parti. Utilizing our selected art piece, mine being Abstraction #507 0 by Vincent Pepi, and the research we gained from our abstract expressionist we were to explore through drawing what would end up becoming our concept for the Ranch House.

In researching Vincent Pepi and other abstract expressionists of the time, I found an important influence in their "splattered" painting style were the elements in Jazz music. So while utilizing the dominate element of design of color I listened to jazz just like the artists had in order to be inspired.

Jazz Group: Nuclear Whales (Saxophone Jazz Band)
Songs: "Harlem Nocture", "Summertime", and "Duke Ellington Medley".



A first attempt at listening to a piece, automatically I picked up on different instruments and depicted them in different colors. Yellow being soprano, blue being tremble, and red being the bass line.

Then I began exploring how the piece was composed and how all the instruments played together to create the composition.

Exploration of the soloist.



After this gestural period of following beats and pitches I was urged by my professor to take elements from the gestures I drew and start simplifying towards a concept. From my observations of the piece in my drawings I drew the conclusion of a soaring soprano line, an active treble line, and a steady bass line.


First couple attempts at achieving a simplified version of my observations.

The more I attempted to simplify the more I realized that I also wanted to keep the element of a "collision" of sound that sometimes occurred in the jazz pieces, so my spread out elements became more integrated.

Final Conceptual Parti:
Conceptual ideas derived from Parti:
Rhythm
Line
Shape
Color






No comments:

Post a Comment